Not a lot of people know how to exfoliate scalp properly. What is more, not everyone is aware that this procedure is as essential as washing your hair. Meanwhile, scalp exfoliation helps you to get rid of many hair concerns – dandruff, dry scalp, excess oil to name a few. As a result, you get a healthier, fuller, and shinier mane. If you want to find out how to exfoliate your scalp at home, we have good news for you. In the guide below, we have collected all the necessary info.*We may earn money from affiliate links on this page. Please check out our disclosure policy for more details.
What Is Scalp Exfoliation?
But before discovering how to exfoliate your scalp, it makes sense to figure out what is scalp exfoliation in the first place. Simply put, this is the procedure that implies removing dead skin cells from your scalp so that new ones could replace them easily. To perform it, you usually use either chemical or material exfoliators. Along with dead skin cells, they remove dandruff and grease.
Scalp Exfoliation Benefits
So, what scalp exfoliation benefits you can expect? If your skin on the head is dry, you have dandruff or your hair is too oily, then exfoliating the scalp will help you to deal with these issues. Even though human hair consists of dead skin cells, which is the reason why you do not feel anything when cutting it, the scalp is different. It is alive, so to speak, so treat it accordingly.
Besides, when exfoliating your head, you massage your scalp. So, it also revives your scalp, boosts hair growth, as well as relieves stress, and soothes you.
How To Exfoliate Scalp At Home Without Damaging Hair: Recipes
Okay, now I have plenty of knowledge about scalp exfoliation and its benefits, you may think. What is next? How can I exfoliate my scalp without damaging my hair? No worries. To back you up, we have put together the most effective scalp exfoliation homemade recipes that you can prepare with the ingredients found in your kitchen.
Exfoliating Scalp Recipe Using Apple Cider Vinegar
Let’s start with the most googled method. How do you use apple cider vinegar to exfoliate your scalp? First, you need to make the scrub using the following ingredients:
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar;
- 2 oz slightly ground Himalayan pink salt;
- 1 tbs melted coconut oil;
- 1 tbs honey of your choice;
- 15 gtt any essential oil.
Now, here is how to use it:
- Wash your hair and soak excess water with a towel.
- Dig out a couple of tbs of the scrub with your fingers, spread it on your palms, and lightly massage it into the roots of your hair, moving from the hairline to your nape.
- As soon as you get to your nape, move back to your hairline.
- Wondering how to exfoliate scalp with long hair? Just push your hair to the front when scrubbing your crown and the nape.
- Allow it to sit for a couple of mins and rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- Wash the hair with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
Salt + Olive Oil Recipe To Exfoliate Scalp At Home
A salt and olive oil scrub is one of the most popular. But does salt exfoliate the scalp? Or is it the oil that does the job? Without further ado, here is how it works. Salt exfoliates the scalp, while oil moisturizes your hair and protects it. To get the scrub, you need to mix the following:
- 2 tbs sea salt;
- 1 or 2 tbs lemon juice or apple cider vinegar;
- 1 or 2 tbs olive oil.
And take the next steps:
- Apply the mixture to your wet hair.
- Massage it into the roots and leave it in for a few mins.
- Rinse the hair with water and wash with shampoo afterward.
Baking Soda Scalp Scrub
Want to learn how do you exfoliate your scalp with baking soda? You will be surprised at how easy it is. So, mix:
- A generous amount of your favorite hair shampoo;
- 1 heaped tbs baking soda;
- 2-3 gtt tea tree oil.
Steps to follow:
- Apply the mixture to your hair and spread it all over, paying more attention to the roots and scalp.
- Massage your hair for several mins.
- Rinse the hair with lukewarm water.
Brown Sugar + Oatmeal Scrub
Brown sugar combined with oatmeal not only makes up a healthy and tasty breakfast but also provides effective yet gentle natural scalp exfoliation, moisturizing, and an increase in blood circulation. Get it by mixing:
- 2 tbs brown sugar;
- 2 tbs oatmeal (finely ground);
- 2 tbs your go-to hair conditioner.
How to use it:
- Wash your hair with shampoo so that there is no product residue left.
- Dip your fingers in the scrub and pick up a dime-sized amount of the product.
- With a circular motion, rub the scrub into the skin on the head.
- Rinse your hair afterward with warm water.
Aspirin Scrub For Scalp At Home
Here is one of the easiest homemade scalp exfoliation recipes. It is also an alternative way of how to exfoliate the scalp with a brush. You will need:
- 6-8 pills of aspirin;
- 4 tbs warm water.
- Mix the aspirin with water and apply it to your hair.
- For a better result, use a toothbrush for the application of the mixture.
- Rinse the hair with warm water and apply the conditioner.
SAVE IT FOR NEXT TIME HAIR ROUTINE:
What Is The Best Scalp Exfoliator?
So, what is the best scalp exfoliator? This question is very broad to be answered directly. The type of exfoliator that works for you best depends on many conditions, such as what issues you want it to resolve, how sensitive your scalp is and many others. Therefore, you should choose an exfoliator according to your needs.
How Often To Exfoliate Your Scalp?
Along with how to exfoliate scalp, it is important to know how often you should do it. Ideally, you need to exfoliate every 7-10 hair washes. However, if there is too much product in your hair or your condition is caused by some kind of medication you are on, then you may have to exfoliate the scalp more often, for instance, 1-2 times per week. Though, take care not to overdo it, as it is easy to disrupt your scalp’s pH balance and provoke excess oil production.
Do You Use Scalp Scrub On Wet Or Dry Hair?
What else often causes confusion is do you use scalp scrub on wet or dry hair? Generally, you exfoliate your scalp after you have washed your hair with shampoo while it is still damp.
Can I Use A Toothbrush To Exfoliate My Scalp?
If you have ever been curious about DIY scalp exfoliation, you may know that it can be performed with a brush. Wondering, can I use a toothbrush to exfoliate my scalp? Yes, you can. But you will not get the same results as with a special scalp exfoliating brush. So, we recommend using a toothbrush only paired with another exfoliator, as in this way, they can boost each other’s effect.
Does Exfoliating Scalp Help Hair Growth?
Apart from other multiple benefits, does exfoliating the scalp help hair growth? Indeed, it does. When you remove the dead cells of the skin from your scalp, you encourage blood circulation. Not only does it promote healthier and stronger hair growth, but it also decreases its loss. Besides, you leave no chance for the population of enzymes responsible for excessive shedding. Thus, you can enjoy all the benefits of scalp exfoliation for hair loss prevention.
Now that you have learned everything about how to exfoliate the scalp, there can be no excuses not to do so. As you can tell, scalp exfoliation DIY is easy and budget-friendly. And the benefits it gives are far beyond the effort it takes.