Let’s start off by telling the good news: you don’t need to be a certified barber to know how to trim a beard the right way. Still, the art of grooming aesthetics may be tricky and tortuous to a complete amateur, and can even lead to a disaster, if the scissors get to the wrong hands.
Wearing a beard is an age-old way to express masculinity while adding tons of an edge to a man’s image. And if you’re wondering how to keep up with the manly facial hairstyle, you’ve come to the right guide. Read on to find out how to shape, shave, and maintain your beard to achieve a look that suits you best.
How To Trim A Beard
While newbies may think that letting facial hair do its own thing is enough for a mighty beard, the real ways on how to trim a beard for the first time run counter to the misconception. In fact, the hair on face grows out at different rates, so without proper upkeep, you may end up with a messy or even patchy beard.
Regular upkeep is the key step to follow in order to learn how to properly trim a beard. It helps not only to keep your facial hairstyle neat but also to define its shape. In general, it involves three aspects: shaping with scissors, maintaining with clippers, and giving definition with a razor.
Although the trimming process depends on the beard style you aim to achieve, these three elements are universal basics that always work. And once you’ve decided what kind of beard works best for your face shape, it’s time to implement these three on practice.
How To Trim A Beard With Scissors
Knowing how to trim a beard with scissors is fundamental and mandatory, as it sets the shape for your future masterpiece. Make sure to keep in mind these tips when working with scissors, and the result will speak for itself.
- Always start with a clean, thoroughly combed beard. Combing allows you to clearly see what areas need a touch-up.
- Now, the most important thing to remember is not to go too crazy with the scissors. Even if you’re sure you’ve got a razor blade precision, cut the hairs slowly, going easy and step by step. Start around the chin and trim away all the loose hairs, working freehand. Then continue by working at the bottom of your sideburns. As you trim the hair, don’t forget to check the sides for symmetry.
- If you’re working with a short beard, it’s better to comb against the grain. Then, work your way up the sides, trying to keep up with symmetry.
How To Trim A Beard With Clippers
You may also want to get to know how to trim a beard with clippers, as this tool provides more control than scissors. Of course, there are also few tips to pay attention to:
- Before getting to trimming, comb your hair. In contrast to scissors, clippers help to define the edges of your beard, setting clear boundaries. Besides, there’s no better idea on how to trim a beard cheek line than to do it with clippers (on the shortest settings) or a razor: they work for definition.
- Decide how long the longest part of your beard should be. Then, set around your chin and jawline areas and begin trimming with the chosen length. After that, move to the sides and cheeks. If you have or want to grow out a mustache, move on to it next.
- There’s no universal way on how to trim a mustache with a beard, as these two may not grow simultaneously. Get back to the mustache only when it starts to look bushy. When trimming your mustache, remember that a neat mo’ shouldn’t grow all the way over your lip.
How To Trim A Short Beard
Short beards are a happy medium between stubble and a longer beard, which appears to be very practical to modern men. As a matter of fact, every man will know how to trim a short beard with the time; it’s just a matter of practice. To succeed in keeping up with a short facial style, pay attention to your face shape. Following your facial features, let your beard hug your face yet without overlapping it.Source: Roman Samborskyi/Shutterstock
How To Trim A Long Beard
Believe it or not, there’s almost nothing crucial to know about how to trim a long beard. As your beard grows out, it set the rules and plays by them only. What is left for you to do is to define the edges and keep them neat. All in all, you can’t change the way your hair grows.Source: V.S.Anandhakrishna/Shutterstock
How To Trim A Goatee
Even though the goatee seems to has taken a backseat, it’s pretty popular with lots of male celebrities. If you’d like to make the good old trend come back, a razor is the first thing to invest in.
A goatee only looks immaculate when its edges are well-groomed and well-defined. If you wear it with a mustache, trim it to the same length as your goatee to reach the perfect balance.Source: WAYHOME studio/Shutterstock
How To Keep Up With The Same Beard Length
When it comes to beard grooming, you can have too much of a good thing. At some point, you will find your perfect length and shape. And to keep up with the right proportions, you need to know how to trim a growing beard. Maintenance is all about an adjustable trimmer, trial, and error. Try to recollect what setting you were using the list time and recreate the previous beard job. Don’t worry; you will master it with the time.Source: Cookie Studio/Shutterstock
How To Trim And Fade Your Neckline
A man who doesn’t know how to trim a beard neckline will never get a decent beard. Though you may not think about this detail in the first place, it plays a crucial role in the appearance of your facial hairstyle. To achieve a neatly blended, distinctive style, follow these steps:
- Imagine an arched line that moves from ear to ear, where the lowest point sits above your Adam’s apple. This is where your neck hair should stop.
- Define the length of your chin and jawline and trim your neck based on that length. Then, go one-two setting shorter to the bottom line of the neck, moving toward the imaginary line. It will give a faded look.
- Finally, get rid of any hairs below this line with a razor or the shortest setting on clippers.
How To Create A Sharp Jawline
The fact that you weren’t born with a chiseled jawline doesn’t mean you can’t rock one. And this is where another grooming trick comes in. To create a sharp jawline for your beard, you need to define prominent angles of your face, giving it a precise, accentuating finish with a razor. You can also add more weight to the right areas of the beard: it will give the needed edginess to your jawline.Source: sanneberg/Shutterstock
Beard Trimming Products
Obviously, without the right styling and trimming kit, all those tips and tricks on how to trim and shape a beard are simply useless. It’s no secret that hair that grows on your face has a completely different behavior which you should tame before trimming. And this beard care product is designed for the best styling and trimming results. It contains:
- Beard oils which are the musts for all types and stages of a beard to keep the hair moisturized, soft, and shiny
- Beard balms that you can use as a conditioner to control your facial hair
- A boar bristle brush that is meant to distribute oils evenly throughout your beard
- Beard scissors for precise upkeep
- A fine-toothed comb for quick combing
It takes time and practice to learn how to trim a beard properly. But, it’s absolutely possible for everyone and doesn’t require visiting a barbershop every two weeks. Today, you’ve learned all the basic tips and crucial tricks to perfect your beard styling routine. And since you’ve got everything you need to learn how to trim your beard with a trimmer, razor, and scissors correctly, it’s time to take those barber things into your own hands!