More and more curlies pineapple hair and not for nothing. The technique is very easy, while the result is impressive. All you need for it is a silky scrunchy and five minutes of free time before bed. Wondering how to pineapple natural hair so that the curls remain defined and even? Make sure to study our guide carefully.
What Is Pineappe Hair?
Before learning how to do it, let’s first define what pineappling hair is. This is a haircare technique popular along with the Curly Girl Method, which allows you to keep your curly locks safe while sleeping. It implies piling your strands on top of the head so that they form a stack reminding a pineapple.
What You Need
To pineapple curly hair, you need to stock up on the following:
- Hair tie that is going to hold your locks. Make sure though it is not very tight. You should be able to tie it around the bun once so that no dents or creases form. A loose scrunchie, a scarf or a spiral elastic will do.
- A satin pillowcase, scarf, or bonnet to prevent your curls from rubbing while you sleep thus protecting them from getting dry and knotted. You can either wrap your hair in a satin bonnet or scarf.
How To Pineapple
Provided you have all the necessary tools, here is how to pineapple hair:
- Tilt forward so that your head is upside down. You can use the same approach you would fold your curls when plopping hair.
- With your hands, push all of the locks together toward the crown.
- Secure the hair at the base using a hair tie of your choice. Tie it only once and make sure it is not too tight.
- If the ends of your pineapple bun hair do not hold in place, you can clip them to that on the head.
- Put on a bonnet or scarf.
How To Take Down Your Pineapple
It is also important to undo your hair pineapple properly. Follow these steps to do it:
- Tilt your head forward and remove the satin scarf and/or bonnet by pulling it off back to front.
- Shake your head right to left to release your locks after sleeping on them.
- Leave them loose for some time to allow the air to naturally style your mane.
How To Pineapple Method For Short Hair
Now that you know how to pineapple long hair, what about a short pineapple? Well, it does not differ much from other types. However, there are still some nuisances. So, here is how you pineapple short hair:
- Tilt the head forward and gather the front hair section on the top of the head.
- Place a scrunchie over the gathered hair and here you have your first pineapple hair bun.
- Gather the hair below the first bun on the crown and put another scrunchie on it.
- Finally, gather the rest of the hair in the back of your head and tie a scrunchie over it once.
- Finish off with a satin scarf or bonnet put over your pineapples.
What NOT To Do When Creating And Releasing A Pineapple
This method is proven to be effective for all hair textures, including 2a, 2b, and 2c hair as well as 3a, 3b, and 3c hair types. If you are not sure what type you have, you can use Curls Type Guide to determine yours. However, not to mess up with it, you need to remember to avoid several things. So, here is what you should not do when pineappling hair and undoing the bun:
- Do not tie your hair with an elastic band. It leaves marks on the hair. This is especially true for 4a, 4b, and 4c hair types, as their hold memory is the best.
- Do not comb your hair with an Afro pick. Because your locks are prone to fizziness, using a comb or Afro pick on them can make matters worse.
- Do not tease or fluff your hair. After a pineapple wave hair, as well as curly, already has a lot of volume at the roots. So, there is no need to try to create it additionally, as this may cause frizz.
- Do not pull on your tresses when releasing your pineapple. Treat it with love and care and it will pay you off.
- Do not be too hard on your hair. Remember, no one’s hair is perfect. You should embrace your natural hair texture with all its kinks, unevenness and seeming imperfections.
Can you pineapple wet hair?
Wet hair can also be put in a pineapple. This will help to lock in moisture and prevent frizz. When your hair is dry, it is harder to achieve the desired curl shape.
How do you tie your hair without ruining curls?
To keep your curls defined and perfectly shaped, you do not need to wrap the scrunchie twice around it. Tying it too tight may result in dents and creases. Just loop the scrunchie once around your hair and you are all set.
Can you pineapple straight hair?
Although the pineapple method was initially invented for curls, it can work well for any hair type prone to frizz. So, if you have straight but frizzy or fine locks, you can pineapple them too to keep them smooth and silky.
Of course, apart from the pineapple hair technique, there are many other ways to protect your locks against frizz while you are asleep. However, it is also one of the easiest and most effective. So, do not hesitate to employ it whenever you go to bed.