Do you know how 3c hair is different than 3b hair or how to identify that your texture is 3a hair type? All these curly issues might seem tricky not only to a naked eye. So today we’re going to reveal the peculiarities of each subcategory of the 3rd curly type and figure out how to style and treat them right.
If the shape of your curls reminds you of corkscrews, you can be sure that you have 3c natural hair type. There’s no need to mention your struggle for keeping your hair well-moisturized while avoiding a greasy look.
Whatever subtype you rock, it’s time to make your care and styling routine way easier: all the handy tips and best products are here!
Hair Care And Styling Products For 3a Curly Hair
The main characteristic of 3a curly hair is the lightweight texture of its spiral curls. This is the type where the extreme sense of dryness and frizz begins: your hair, as well as the rest of curl types, needs always to be hydrated. And, sometimes, ladies with 3a hair type don’t suffer from the lack of moisture; they may deal with the lack of volume instead. So besides some universal care rules, we will show you 3a curly hair products that will suit your individual needs, and, of course, help you to navigate in your 3a curly hair routine. But first, let us share with your some styling tips for this subtype!
Styling Tips For 3a Hair
Nothing can compare to the well-groomed, voluminous, and bouncy look of the 3a hair texture when it’s styled right. Here are some basics that will help you to reach the best effect.
- As the right cut is your key to success, it is a good idea to give your hair an easy-to-style shape first, for instance, with the help of the Deva Cut technique.
- One of the most popular ways to stay away from frizz is to go for the plopping method. This technique requires cleanly washed and well-conditioned hair. Once you scrunch out your curls, you should tie it up into a towel and let it dry.
- You can also try adopting the Curly Girl method. It's a fantastic option to upgrade your curls with a sulfate-free or no-poo washing regimen, which you can combine with the plopping method as well.
- For faster styling, you can style your hair with a diffuser attached to your blow dryer that is designed to eliminate frizz. Before styling, it’s better to work a detangling product into your hair, brushing it with a detangling brush.
- Be careful when you are about to straighten your hair. Your hair type is pretty fragile and fine, so one pass of your flat iron will be enough. Make sure that you work with the low setting and test the temperature on one strand first. Don’t forget to coat your hair with a heat tamer spray as your hair is prone to damage.
Hair Products For 3a Hair
Thermal Creations Protective Spray Heat Tamer
This is one of the essential 3a hair products if you want to straighten your hair from time to time. Don’t forget to coat your damp hair with the heat protectant: it will not only save you from heat and friction but also will give you a shiny, natural look.
Mop Top Anti-Frizz Gel
This cutie knows how to keep your hair moisturized and make it manageable at the same time. It contains no parabens, alcohol, and silicones, which is crucial for type 3a hair. For defined and shiny curls, apply it on your wet hair, distributing it evenly.
Volumizing Coconut Shampoo & Conditioner
As we’ve mentioned before, there are girls whose fine 3a hair always needs to be volumized. If you’re one of them, look no further than this shampoo and conditioner combo. For hair that lacks volume, this is one of the best products for 3a curly hair as it has organic composition.
Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Gentle Cleansing Shampoo
If you suddenly realize that your scalp tends to get oily fast, the very first thing you should do is to get yourself a cleanser. This one is pretty gentle to skin, and, most importantly, it doesn’t leave your hair dry. Keep in mind that it should be used no often than biweekly so as not to ruin the oil balance.
Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion
Here’s a good detangling lotion that is a must for everyday styling routine of 3a hair types. Fine hair often tends to get tangled, so smoothing it out is crucial. Whether you want to do some updo or show up with a braided hairstyle, it can’t do without the lotion.
Hair Care And Styling Products For 3b Curly Hair
The 3b curly hair type is known for its lovely texture variability. Unlike the previous subtype, it may come as the combination of 3a 3b hair, which means it can involve medium-sized corkscrews, waves, and curls at once. And even though it’s not as moisture demanding as the kinky hair type, it still needs regular moisture and hydration maintenance.
Styling Tips For 3b Hair
Since your type 3b hair may consist of different textures running through the length, it’s very important to know how to whip them all into a decent, harmonic shape. Keep in mind these tips before checking out the 3b hair products we’ve prepared for you!
- To make your curls behave, always keep them as moisturized as possible.
- Don’t use too many different products so as not to weaken out your locks.
- When using cleansers don’t forget to pair them with deep conditioning to keep the balance of oils and moisture.
Products For 3b Hair
ApotheCARE Essentials The Replenisher Cleansing Conditioner
While most cleansers lead to dryness of scalp, this cleansing conditioner knows how to show respect to your 3b hair type. The natural almond and coconut oils, sulfate-free composition, and gentle texture of this product will provide your hair with intense hydration and anti-frizz effect.
Humectress Ultimate Moisture Masque
A softening, hydrating mask is also one of the must-have 3b curly hair products. First of all, it helps you to cleanse your hair. Secondly, it prepares your hair for styling manipulations, making it softer and more manageable. A tip: you can pair it with cleansing conditioners.
Flawless Bouncy Curls Defining Gel
Be it short 3b hair or a long curly mane, for the flawless everyday look, you need to make your curls more precise. This defining gel is designed to make thick and curly hair look more distinctive. Apply it on your wet locks and use it every time you wash your hair.
Suave Professionals Avocado + Olive Oil Leave-in Conditioner
We can’t leave you without a good leave-in conditioner for 3b hair texture. Many ladies put this organic conditioner into their list of best products for 3b curly hair, not for nothing: it gives a frizzless look, regardless of humidity level, gives a smooth, moisturized look that lasts for three days, and contains rich oils.
Hair Care And Styling Products For 3c Curly Hair
As you might have noticed, 3c curly hair is the tightest and thickest subtype. The texture of 3c natural hair consists of densely packed together curls that look as if your hair has been wrapped around a pencil. Usually, such curls are very prone to frizz and damage, so your task is to take care of its fine condition.
Styling Tips For 3c Hair
The 3c hair type is the last subtype of the 3c category, so we suppose you can imagine the importance of its regular hydration. Seriously, we recommend you to chalk out your moisturizing regime. Once you nail it, your locks will always slay with perfection. Make these essentials a part of your routine to reach it!
- Forget about shampoos and conditioners that aren’t meant for 3c hair type: it’s a lifeline that your hair literally can’t live without. And that’s not all: involve deep conditioning once a week to enhance the hydrating effect. Also, you must use organic products only.
- Stay away from using heat tools for styling. Your unbelievable curls are your best natural embellishment, don’t spoil it with frequent heat experiments. Professional hairstylists say that women with this hair type can use a flat iron once in every few months, yet with heat-protecting preparation only.
- To take care of your scalp and curls at night, you should sleep on soft silk pillowcase as this material won’t cause friction and dryness.
- Go for the pineapple method to keep your curls defined for more than just one day. To do that, you need to bend your hair forward, tie it into a ponytail at the top, and secure it with a bonnet before going to bed. When you wake up, let your curls down and tousle them up.
Top Products For 3c Hair
Tgin Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo For Natural Hair
Don’t pass by this shampoo when you come across it. The main reason why we included it to our top of 3c hair products is that it contains no harsh detergents. Its pro vitamin b5 can reduce breakage while its soft texture will give your hair a smooth and light feel.
Mixed Chicks Sulfate-Free Shampoo For Colored & Chemically Treated Hair
Avocado, almond, olive fruit oils, aloe vera juice, and nutritive panthenol are the components that make this organic shampoo one of the best products for 3c hair. Moreover, the rich, and sulfate-free composition will work awesome for both 3b 3c hair.
Aphogee Curlific Curl Definer
This soft curl definer will awesomely work on your fine curls, making it silky, smooth, and manageable for styling. Everything you need for comfortable styling and effortless, shiny look is here, in this little tube.
Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
It’s no secret how beneficial coconut oil can be for your body and skin. And the truth is, having this product is enough to not only provide your scalp with rich nutrition and hydration but also moisturize any skin areas that tend to get dry.
Now, you’re totally 3a-3b-3c educated! You’ve just found out how the texture of each subtype is different, how to take care of each one as well as how to style it. With all these 3a 3b 3c hair products and our little tips, there’s no way you will fail your curl routine!
FAQ: 3C Hair
Is my hair 3C or 3B?
You have type 3A hair if you can easily wrap your curls around sidewalk chalk. Your hair type is 3B if the permanent marker is the best suit. Finally, you know you have 3C hair type if your spiral curls are about the same size as a pencil.
Is 3C hair good hair?
3C hair is as curly as it gets without crossing the line into fragile, dry and delicate territory. This actually indicates that your curls are very dry and parched. In this case you need a good hair treatment, such as high quality nourishing creams and balms that will not weigh down strands while also providing the necessary glide.
How often should I wash 3C hair?
Basically, you need shampooing and co-washing (if necessary) once a week. People with 3C hair type might be well aware of how rapidly it dries out. That’s exactly why you should use a quality shampoo with nourishing balm at least once a week.